Wednesday 31 October 2012

Some sticks and carving.





Hi, thought it was time to update, hadn't realised it had been so long since I had posted. Well I have done some new sticks,two using using offcuts of Walnut, and they turned out pretty good. the one on the left is a full turned crook made with Walnut and a Hazel shaft, the one on the right is actually a heavy duty Hiking pole, the head is antler and Buffalo horn with a silver collar, again Hazel was used for the shaft and I put an Alpine ferrule on this one.










This one is a walking stick again made with an offcut of Walnut with a particularly nice grain.







I then decided to do some carving as I bought a nice set of Ashley Isles small carving chisels at Yandles Autumn show.
and I was keen to try them out, they were in fact very good and extremely sharp, and although I sharpen and hone all my own chisels, I was amazed to see that if you are not able to sharpen your own chisels then Ashley Isles will do it for you, you only have to pay postage!
I wanted to make something bold and modern so I made this Tealight holder,( yes I know it is big for one tealight but that was the idea).











The rope is threaded through twice and appears to be endless, the entire piece was then varnished twice with exterior grade varnish, the brass plate on the front has been peened to enhance it, then has a fine laquer over. So it could go outside.








































































No comments:

Post a Comment